Sunday 12 December 2010

Flat-planned ideas [Content Page]

Before I could produce my contents page. I decided to flat-plan what I wanted the layout, font styles, colours and images I would use on it. 
Here is my flat-plan idea: 

#Version 1

I drew it in pencil first because I changed things regularly on it. I have a big image on the top half of the page. It will go across the page horizontally. Underneath that will be the name of the magazine in block capitals. I have decided to have that coloured in Black. This should make it stand out more and be recognisable for my readers. Following underneath that there is a another text box that summarizes what can be found in the magazine.

"CELEB NEWS - MUSIC - REVIEWS - UPCOMING EVENTS"

Then underneath these, will come the page numbers and the main features. The layout is that they go down the page in two columns. With images by the text showing who's shown.

I researched alot of different contents pages. Some from music magazines and others from fashion magazines also, to get a varied opinion.  Examples:

Elle Magazine

Here is the fashion magazine Elle. I liked this contents page firstly because they kept it very simple but it is still effective. They also kept font colours and styles consistent to match with the front cover. Secondly I also liked this contents because the layout it easy to read and recognise where you can find different things in the magazine on their own pages. They also used two good midshot images that represent what the magazine is about. The two female models are perfect for their target audience: women into fashion. I decided to use some conventions from this contents page such as keeping my font style and colours consistent and separating my different features for the production of my own music magazine contents page. However, I couldn't use all conventions because this is a fashion magazine, while I am producing a music magazine.
  

VIBE Magazine










This is the second contents page I researched from VIBE magazine. This definitely caught my eye because of the pose from the model. Having her pose like that symbolises that she is the main feature of this edition. The colours that she is wearing also links in with the rest of the page. The colours, grey and white are quite masculine, and then to have a feminine pose like that makes them contrast very effectively, keeping their target audience un-bias to female or male. Also, the image shows the age suitable for this magazine, it would have to be older teens and adults. The word 'contents' is separated into 3 lines - but is still readable to the reader. Underneath that is shows what is inside the magazine. Here, they haven't really separated their different features and have also used quite simple font. It looks more like a paragraph rather than page directions. 






Top of the Pops Magazine
Contents page: Mizz Magazine. Here I analysed that the 
images on the page are of actors from Disney films. This makes it suitable for the younger audience because generally older people won't want to read about Disney films. This made me think about my own images that I would use and how I could relate to my target audience. The image of Zac Efron will help sell the magazine because females love him and the target audience is females. He is also an international star so is well known. The colour scheme of this page is mainly bright colours. This makes it suitable for the target audience; young girls. people are usually attracted to bright colours. They are also quite feminine colours which shows that it is aimed at a female target audience. The title that states its a contents page is quite small and in a sans serif font. It is also in bold and red on a white background which makes it stand out.


Kerrang Magazine












Contents page: Kerrang Magazine.
I liked looking at this contents page because it looks really busy with alot going on. The colours black, yellow and white stay consistent with the front cover. The slashed font style is also used throughout the magazine. On this contents page they use alot of images to show their features, long shots and close up shots. However they also balance it out with text which is layed out in columns.                                                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment