Saturday 20 November 2010

Who is my audience? - Research into potential target audience

I have chosen for my target audience to aimed at teenagers starting from the age 15. After researching the the existing music press and establishing what I need to think about in my magazine e.g. age, gender and ethnicity and audience profile. I decided to do some research on these conventions to support my mode of address.

AGE
 I wanted to target the older teenager ages starting from 15 and upwards. For this I know that the language can be a little more complex, but not too difficult for them to understand. I also knew that the images had to be suited to them. The image couldn't involve childish things, it had to be more sophisticated. 

GENDER
I have chosen for my magazine to be targeted at both gender types (male and female). I chose to do this because, again, after researching an existing music press, and existing music magazine; both genders are mainly included in RnB/ Urban music magazines. 
Even though on my front cover and main article I will be promoting a new female artist, from my contents page there will be a  section that boys can relate too as well. To show that my magazine is not gender biased to one, I will use a mixture of colours that don't specify to one gender in particular. 


ETHNICITY
When I researched many RnB magazines, there were more black people that were featured on the front cover, rather than any other race. This gave me alot of thought about who I should have on the front over of my magazine. It did give me alot to think about, whether I should support what they had done or challenge it. I decided to support it and go with a mix-race model for my front cover. 
Furthermore, when doing my research I looked at these magazines, the content inside of the magazine involved a mixture of people from different races, but the music genre stayed the same. For example on the front of this rap magazine VIBE they have a white ethnicity music artist on the front when normally you might see a black ethnicity person on the front.


AUDIENCE PROFILE:
To get more of an understanding about who I am targeting I asked two of my peer a few questions about their background and musical interest:

Name: Jimmy
Gender: Male
Age: 16
Ethnicity: Black British
Musical Interests (genres): Grime, Rap, Dubstep, Rap, Hiphop
Music Artist Interests: Eminem, Tinchy Stryder, Tinie Tempah, 50 Cent .. 
Choice in Style: Retro-urban = Checked shirts, New era caps, Nike trainers, Graphic jumpers, Slim/baggy trousers. 
What would you like to see in a music magazine? Style tips, good looking girls smiling or posing, maybe posters like freebies you can win.

Name: Caprice
Gender: Female
Age: 15
Ethnicity: White and Black Carribean
Musical Interests (genres): RnB, Hiphop, Rap
Music Artists Interests: Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown, Keri Hilson, T.I , Fergie, Pixie Lott
Choice in Style: Skinny jeans, Leggings, Converse, Nike, Hoodies. 
What would you like to see in a music magazine? Boys, free posters of celebs, music reviews, fashion tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment